How To Help Your Kids Eat Better
*Outline from Facebook Live Session on 6/24/16
Seeing The Big Picture
- Put the past in the past. No need for guilting yourself.
- Consider what are the 1-2 main concerns for your child.
- What is your role, currently, in your child’s eating plan?
-Do you control what and how much they eat?
-Do you do the grocery shopping?
4. How involved is your child in their eating?
-Do they get to pick their meals? Do they decide portions? Can they easily get second helpings?
Strategies for Eating More Vegetables and Fruits
- The “appetizer” method of getting your child to eat vegetables/fruits
- Big quarterly in house vegetable and fruit competitions.
- Try a bite: Can be effective…but might be difficult with strong willed child.
- Go to the farm or farmers market.
Strategies for Portion Controlling
- Precision Nutrition portion infographic
- Single helping only with parental oversight. Effective up to teen years.
- When having a treat meal/dessert…divide into smaller servings. I.E: Pizza, Ice Cream, etc
Strategies for Reducing Eating Speed
- 30 second interval timing with hour glass or cell phone app. Very successful in test studies.
- Drink of water after each bite.
- Break our #2 strategy on portion controlling by creating two separate meals each 15 minutes long.