Dealing with the Ups and Downs of Weight Loss by AJ Buck
We all know that weight loss has its ups and downs because let’s face it, weight loss is challenging. It is important to keep in mind that weight loss is different for every person, what might work for one person may not work for another. Here are a some tips that can help with the process of losing weight and help you have a positive experience.
- Accept and know that difficult situations will happen. Be prepared for the upcoming weeks. I would assume that most of us face unhealthy temptations on a weekly basis, whether it be birthday parties, busy work days, or meetings during your lunch. It’s important to be proactive rather than reactive. Plan ahead and accordingly for your upcoming events.
2. Know your strengths. Know what has worked in the past or what is currently working. Write down the things that work for you and when things get hard try to revert back to what you were doing to make sure that you stay on track.
3. Do NOT get down on yourself. Tell yourself that setbacks are temporary. If you had one bad meal or missed your workout for the day, that doesn’t mean that you ruined your WHOLE day. Move on and look forward to what your next good meal is going to be or schedule an alternate time to workout!
4. Talk to yourself, POSITIVELY. Sounds weird right? Think about it though, how often have you had a bad day or week and told yourself that you are a failure or can’t lose the weight? It only means that you had a bad week and just know that you have the upcoming week to get back on track and put last week in the past. We all have days or weeks like this. Just try to stay positive!
5. Learn from your mistakes. Think of your mistakes or slip-ups as learning opportunities. If you have a mess up, let it go! Learn from it and move on. Realize what you did and try to avoid similar situations in the future.
6. Find a supporter! When it comes to weight loss, having just one supportive, significant person in your life is essential. It can be anyone, a coach, friend, or in most of our cases your whole fitness GROUP! Having someone who believes in you and who is cheering you on the whole way will help you achieve your goals.