How to Kick Start Weight Loss
by Patti Willems, M.S
WE all seem to have a problem jump starting a healthy eating regiment. I would like to offer 3 quick and easy concepts for healthy eating habits, which in turn will kick start your weight loss…..
- Drink 16 oz. of water BEFORE each meal. There are several reasons for this….
- Water will help you feel fuller so you won’t eat as much, therefore you consume fewer calories.
- Water helps speed up your metabolism.
- Your body is made up of 60% water, therefore you need to drink water to stay hydrated. Water also aids in digestion, absorption, and circulation.
- Water can help energize your muscles and keeps fatigue from setting in by keeping your cells hydrated.
- Water keeps your skin hydrated and looking younger.
- Water keeps your kidneys flushed out, and some experts seem to think staying hydrated reduces your chance for kidney stones.
- Water helps maintain normal bowel functions .
- Slow down your eating time. It should take anywhere from 15-20 minutes to eat a meal. It takes approximately 20 minutes for your body to ‘feel’ full. Therefore, if you eat too fast, your brain does not have time enough to get the message from your stomach that you are full. You may need to start by slowly adding a minute on here and there by chewing more slowly and deliberately, drinking more often, or chatting with your dining partner. You usually tend to eat fewer calories as your meal time increases.
- Portion control – this seems to be a problem for many individuals. Even though I don’t have a huge sweet tooth, I do seem to like to eat more than I should, so portion control is an issue that I have to really watch. I would like to offer you three recommendations from Precision Nutrition that might help with portion control, and luckily you will have this ‘tool’ with you no matter where you go…..
- Use the palm of your hand (the same thickness and diameter as your palm) to identify the amount of protein and carbohydrates you should be eating at each meal. (Women should use one palm and men should use two palms).
- Use your fist to identify the amount of vegetables you should be eating at each meal. (Women should use one fist and men should use two fists).
- Use your thumb to determine how much good saturated fat you should be eating at each meal. (Women should use one thumb and men should use two thumbs).
You don’t even have to count calories – just watch the portion of proteins, vegetables, carbs and fats that you eat and you should be in great shape (no pun intended).
If you practice these three concepts, they will soon become naturally occurring habits, which will make it easier to: 1) eat healthier, 2) keep your portions under control, 3) stay hydrated, and 4) kick start your weight loss journey!
If you have any questions regarding the above healthy eating tips to kick start your weight loss, or are ready to start your fitness journey, please feel free to contact either myself or Brad Tillery here at BCS Fitness.
Fitness& Nutrition Minded,
Patti Willems, M.S
Baby Boomers and Beyond Program Director/Personal Trainer